16" x 48" Metalworking Sanding Belts
Our 16" x 48" sanding belt is ideal for metalworking applications such as when sanding aluminum, stainless steel or steel. We guarantee all three of our materials will perform to your standards because we only carry premium performing abrasive material. For a guide on which material to select for your 16" x 48" belt sander please refer to the questions below. We have them available in aluminum oxide (brown in color), zirconia (green or blue) as well as ceramic (bright red color)
WHAT IS THE BEST SANDING BELT FOR SANDING ALUMINUM?
When you are sanding aluminum you have two options of abrasive grain/material for you to choose from.
- Aluminum Oxide – The benefits of going with aluminum oxide are that it is very cost effective if you are looking to spend the least amount possible. You will get decent life and reasonable cutting ability. This is probably the most common material purchased as a result. It is important to note that our aluminum oxide cloth backed belt is poly-cotton, meaning it can be ran wet or dry.
- Zirconia – Zirconia is by far the more premium option for many reasons. Zirconia sanding belts provide far superior cutting power, cutting speed, reduced heat generation and longevity of the belt. Zirconia sanding belts will last about 2 to 3 times longer than aluminum oxide belts! The only downside is that zirconia is only available in 24 grit, 36 grit, 40 grit, 50 grit, 60 grit, 80 grit, 100 grit & 120 grit. If you are going any finer than 120 grit, aluminum oxide will really be your only metal finishing option. This material is made with a premium Y-weight polyester cotton backing that can be ran on your machine wet or dry.
WHAT IS THE BEST SANDING BELT FOR SANDING STAINLESS STEEL OR STEEL?
When you are sanding harder metals such as ferrous metals (metals containing iron) you want a more robust, long lasting material that will hold up under intense heat & pressure. Both our zirconia with a grinding aid and our ceramic #shredder material are made from premium Y-weight polyester backings that allow our materials to be ran wet or dry.
- Zirconia – Our premium zirconia product has a topically infused grinding aid in addition to the grinding aid already embedded in the resin coating fastening the grain to the cloth belt. The reason why you would want to go with this material when sanding stainless steel, steel or other ferrous metals is that it has the earlier mentioned added grinding aid which helps to cool your parts under more intense pressure and heat generation. This makes the belt last 15-20% longer than other zirconias. This material would also last 5-6 times longer than an aluminum oxide belt!
- CERAMIC (#SHREDDER) - Ceramic Shredder belts come in an orange/reddish color, typical of ceramic grains. The grain structure of these belts provides continuous renewal of the most consistent and uniform cutting edges. The nature of ceramic grain allows for faster cutting and cooler stock removal. While you pay 40% more for ceramic over zirconia, you will get rewarded in dividends as this material lasts 2-3 times longer than zirconia!
- Aluminum oxide - this material starting from grit 150 is really the only option for sanding so obviously this is the material of choice when fine sanding. Its really the coarser grits where zirconia's and ceramics are preferential in most cases.
WHAT SANDING BELT MATERIAL HELPS LOWER PRODUCTION COSTS?
Ceramic sanding belts are by far the best investment in a sanding belt you can make. Ceramic sanding belts last 2-3X longer than zirconia belts and about 10X longer than aluminum oxide belts! Ceramic sanding belts can withstand more heat, pressure & speed than any zirconia or aluminum oxide belt and will be far more cost effective on a part for part basis. Ceramic grains are intrinsically much denser and harder scientifically which translates to more money in your pocket!